The 2023-2024 school year is around the corner and the baby you birthed 11ish years ago is about to enter a new chapter. We all know that middle school is a different beast. There are so many changes that occur between 11 and 13 that can be overwhelming for your child. To have a smooth transition, it’s best to encourage your child to embrace change. Children often travel with the same group of kids from Kindergarten to 5th grade, so they get comfortable because 1. they know everyone and 2. the environment becomes a safe zone. Middle school shakes things...
Establishing a strong partnership with your child's teachers is instrumental in supporting their academic success. Open and effective communication, coupled with proactive parent involvement, can make a significant difference in your child's learning journey. Here are some strategies to foster a productive relationship: Introduce yourself early: At the start of the school year, take the opportunity to introduce yourself to your child's teachers. Share relevant information about your child's strengths, challenges, and any specific concerns you may have. This helps the teachers better understand your child's needs. Attend parent-teacher conferences: Make it a priority to attend parent-teacher conferences or virtual...
Here are 5 ways to ease your child’s back-to-school anxiety:
- Start your child's bedtime routine in advance. They will not fight with you every morning if they are accustomed to their routine.
- Go to their open house together! Let them see the environment and meet their new teacher before school begins.
- Make school shopping an experience. Allow your child the freedom to choose what folders, pencil cases, and lunchbox they get for the new school year.
- Listen to your child’s concerns. Have an open discussion about their fears, assumptions, and feelings.
- Practice their after-school routines. What days should they expect dad to pick them up? When is basketball practice? If you’re late, what should they do?